The North Galiano Fire Protection and Emergency Services Area covers the northern half of Galiano Island, with approx. 350 residents. The department functions at the Exterior Operations level. The North Galiano Fire Protection Commission of the Capital Regional District oversees the work of the department and, due to a retirement, invites applications for the post of FIRE CHIEF (Volunteer).
Successful applicants will supervise all departmental operations and have
- strong managerial and communication skills;
- significant fire department experience;
- be able to work effectively with the existing fire-fighting team;
- liaise with other local organisations to assure efficient and effective
Expected qualifications include:
- Certification to NFPA 1001 and 1002, Level 1 and preferably level 2.
- Class 5 BC driver's licence with air brake endorsement;
- At least five years experience with local government fire service;
- ICS 200 and demonstrated competence and extensive practical experience in using Command System for emergency incidents;
- Fluency with BC Playbook requirements and training.
The successful applicant will be expected to welcome the opportunity to relocate to the North Galiano Service Area, in B.C.'s Gulf Islands. The position, within a volunteer department, commands a stipend equivalent to a partial salary. Details to be egotiated.
For additional details about the department and Galiano Island, contactPaul LeBlond, Chair, North Galiano Fire Protection and Emergency Services Commission, 250-539-3050; send written applications (or queries) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate can be found.