The District of Barriere is searching for the right individual to lead our team of approximately 18 dedicated volunteer firefighters. The Barriere Fire Protection Area extends beyond the boundaries of the District with a number of properties being located in the surrounding Thompson Nicola Regional District Area “O”. The Fire Chief is appointed by Council and answers directly to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
The Fire Chief is responsible for the organization and direction of the Barriere Volunteer Fire Department on a part time basis with compensation equivalent to approximately eight to ten hours of commitment per week. Any hours over and above that are generally on a volunteer basis unless otherwise approved. The position’s official responsibilities and authority are set out in District of Barriere Bylaws No. 55 and No. 121 which are available for viewing online at www.barriere.ca.
The successful candidate will possess strong managerial and communication skills, preferably with significant fire department experience; be able to work effectively with the existing team; as well as, be able to liaise with other local organizations to assure efficient and effective service to the community. The successful candidate must be willing to provide a Criminal Record Check and reside in the immediate area.
Desired qualifications include:
- Certification to NFPA 1001 and 1002, Level 1 and preferably level 2.
- At least five years’ experience with local government fire service;
- ICS 200 and demonstrated competence and extensive practical experience in using Command System for emergency incidents;
- Fluency with BC Playbook requirements and training;
- Computer literacy.
The candidate must demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- maintain standards of conduct
- be respectful
- possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- be flexible
- demonstrate sound work ethics
- be consistent and fair
- work cooperatively with District Administration